Saturday, September 17, 2011

Heidi's Baking Challenge - Puddings and Desserts



Hello everyone! I am entering Heidi’s baking challenge on behalf of my lovely mother, Hazel! Heidi-Mari decided to extend her current challenge for another two weeks and she is offering the winner a PRIZE! You have another day left to enter your puddings and desserts before the challenge closes. Please go here to enter!














My mother made us a delicious rice pudding for after dinner last night. We have made all sorts of rice puddings before, but this one is by far the best of them all.

Rice Pudding
Serves 6
180ml uncooked rice
125ml water
750ml rice milk
60ml raisins
5ml nutmeg
1ml ground cloves
2 extra large free-range eggs, separated
125ml cream
60ml sugar
2ml vanilla essence

Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Boil the rice until all the water has been absorbed. Add the milk and raisins and simmer until the rice is tender and most of the milk has been absorbed. Cool. Mix the nutmeg and the cloves with the egg yolks, cream and sugar. Add the vanilla essence and mix well with the rice mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed and fold into rice mixture. Pour into greased oven dish and bake for 40-60 minutes or until set. Serve hot with custard.

I like this pudding so much as it has very little sugar in it.  If my Mom makes it into the top three recipes, then please would you hop over to Heidi’s blog and vote for her?! Voting starts on Tuesday, 20th of September.

Have a great weekend,
Kelly-Anne

2 comments:

Linnie said...

Wow, my Friend Hazel, this looks delicious! Thank you for joining my daughters challenge!
Counting the days to the birth of your precious baby!
lots of love
Linnie

Heidi-Mari said...

Dear Aunty Hazel,
Thank you SO much for joining my baking challenge!!!
I’m so glad when mommies also join in!
This rise pudding sure looks great!! I will try it some time!
Have a blessed weekend
Lots of love Heidi-Mari
P.S. I'm also counting the sleeps!!