Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Day In The Kitchen!

I love being in the kitchen! Cooking and baking and having fun!

On Wednesday, my mom was feeling very tired and ill, as it is only three more weeks till our new little baby will be born, so I decided to work in the kitchen!

Two weeks ago, I fell off at horse riding, and the tradition is, that you must take chocolate cake the next week! My riding teacher was in England last week, so I had to take cake this week instead. Chocolate cake was not high on my mom's list of priorities, so I decided to make the cake! It was a lot of fun!I also had to make my last batch of fudge for the market on Saturday. In the evening, while my mom and sister, Nancy were watching Pasella, I made bread, so that we would have for the next day. I also had to put a pot of millet on for breakfast the next morning. I had a lot of fun doing this!! My mom was also so relieved that she did not have to worry about lunch the next day, or breakfast!!! She was completely relaxed!!

Here are the recipes for all the things I made if you would like to try them.














The Worlds Best Chocolate Cake Recipe:

790ml cake flour
125ml cocoa
20ml baking powder
240ml butter
370ml castor sugar
275ml milk
4 large eggs
pinch salt
Method:
Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and a pinch salt.
Beat the butter and castor sugar till light.
Add eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, until just mixed.
Pour into two greased cake tins, or two muffin pans.
Bake in a preheated (180 C) oven for about an hour.
Remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes. Turn out and leave to cool completely before icing.

For The Icing:
Beat 150 g soft butter until light. Stir in 320 g sifted icing sugar and 20 ml cocoa powder.
Add 30 ml milk and beat well until smooth, spreadable cosistency.

Decorating tip:
Grate some chocolate and sprinkle on top. You can even put half a cherry on top for extra decoration!













Never Fail Wholewheat Bread!
1 packet yeast
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
7 cups wholewheat flour
seeds of choice (we use pumpkin, sunflower and sesame)
3 to 4 cups water

Method:
Put yeast, sugar, salt and flour in a large bowl and mix.
Add the seeds and mix. Add the water and stir thoroughly.
Divide between two greased baking tins and put in the warmer draw or a sunny spot till bread has risen nicely.
Preheat oven to 180 c and bake for about 45 minutes.
Put on a cooling rack and leave to cool.











Yummiest Breakfast Ever!


1 cup dehusked millet
2 tsp cinnamon
half a cup raisins
1 grated apple
6 cups water

Method:
Put all the ingredients in the pot. Turn onto a low heat and leave to cook for about an hour. (remember to do this the night before) Turn on again the next morning and leave to warm and cook completely, (another half an hour to an hour).
Serve with sugar and milk.

Tip:
You can even put a blob of butter in to give a buttery favour!


Enjoy your baking and cooking like I did!

Have fun!



No comments: