Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Learning To Speak Gently

 Speaking gently is something I have longed to be able to do for a long time. But though I prayed and tried, I didn’t try hard enough. My excuse was always that I was either tired or that they were being irritating!

Is it they who are being irritating, or is it me who becomes irritated? Is it alright to allow my frustrations to get the better of me? Is it alright to lash out at my sisters who are just being normal little girls when my daily frustrations become too great? My answer is, no! I am the one who becomes irritated and it is not alright to get frustrated with them!
















“Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.” James 1:19The tongue is the most dangerous part of the body. You can ruin the relationships you cherish most just by speaking in a negative way or with anger in your voice. For many years my mom has spoken to me about this very thing. The words I sow now, the way I speak now, I will reap one day. I am causing anger and resentment between my sisters and I.

 
 “Set a guard, O, Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips.” Psalm 141:
 I have also noticed that because I am the eldest in our family, my sisters are starting to copy me. They are imitating my bad ways of talking to them harshly.
I don’t WANT that to carry on! I have decided to stop that right now! No matter how I am feeling I WILL try and pick myself up! My frustrations will no longer be taken out on them, my sisters whom I love and cherish. I do not want to spoil the relationships that matter most. My sisters will always be there for me and I want to always be there for them. I don’t want years of rudeness and anger to spoil our relationship!















“Words are real things.  They bless or they curse, they lift up or they knock down.”


















I encourage you, if you are also struggling to be kind and loving towards your sisters, try harder. Close your eyes and PRAY for strength to cope with this sister (or brother) that is really giving you a hard time! (My mom always says that whether I believe it or not, I can also be annoying!

















“A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1


I can’t say I am getting it right. I have lost it (my temper) a few times but I can see that in time it will get easier. I am in a bad habit at the present time, but I will keep on trying and praying!



















“There is a time to keep silence and a time to speak.” Ecclesiastes 3:7



















Watch Your Words

Keep a watch on your words, my darlings,
for words are wonderful things;
They are sweet like the bee’s fresh honey,
like the bees – they have terrible stings.
They can bless in the glad warm sunshine,
and brighten a lonely life –
They can cut in the strife of anger,
like an open two-edged knife.
Keep them back – if they’re cold and cruel –
Under bar, and lock and seal,
For the wounds they make, my darlings,
are always slow to heal
May peace guard your lives, and ever,
from the time of your early youth,
May the words that you daily utter
be words of beautiful truth.

I am going to cherish my little sisters today! I am going to love them, hug them and give them lots of kisses!
Blessings,
Kelly-Anne



















P.S. My little sisters have many more good moments than bad!  They are not always irritating! I mean, who can resist this little face?  They give cuddles and hugs and kisses too!  I mean to keep these precious relationships! 

1 comment:

Heidi-Mari said...

Dear Kelly
I hope you are all doing well!
We are also doing very well.
Will you PLEASE check out my blog asap..................I have something for you there and I think you will like it! Here's a link: http://heidiscrafts.blogspot.com/2011/02/second-blog-award-this-time-from.html

Hope to here from you soon
Lots of Love
Heidi-Mari x xx x