Thursday, April 30, 2009

Trusting In God For Horse Riding!




















Today I went for my weekly riding lesson. I felt so thankful and grateful as I rode. God has really performed miracles in my life so that I can do this. I think back on what I had to do to get to this place.
It was tough, but all worth it!!!


Horses are my favourite animal. I love that smell of their coat and that hay smell. There is something about a horse that I love!

I have loved horses all my life!

In 2003 I took up horse riding for the first time. I rode a cute little Shetland, called Nik –Naks.
I rode for about a year, then we moved and I could not continue.

In 2006, we moved to Bekezela Adventure Farm in the Natal Midlands.
I prayed and prayed for my own horse and sure enough, a few months later, I was given a horse to look after. She was an old racehorse, 19 years at the time. She was chestnut with a star on her forehead and sock on her right – hand side back leg. About a month or two later her friend, Bolo joined her at the farm. He was also a thoroughbred, but had never raced, and had the potential to be a show jumper.

About 5 months later I was told that we were leaving the farm, and I had to give up my life – long dream to own a horse.

This move brought many tears and heartache to me, as it is very hard to give up something you love.

I had no contact with horses for about 2 years, but then we moved to Fish Hoek, where we now live, and I had hopes of going to riding school again, as we lived near Noordhoek, a big riding society.

Months passed and it was just impossible at that stage to even think of horse riding as my dad was still new to his job.

I did not give up hope, and used my time to read and learn more about my favourite creature.

In Knysna, where we used to stay, we made fudge to sell and help us out of our financial difficulties each month, so I decided to make fudge to start saving up for riding lessons.
Little did I know that this little fudge business that I had would grow in to something very big.

I kept going, even though my dad got retrenched from his new job 2 months later.

It took me a long time to save, but I had my focus on the bigger picture, being able to horse ride.

Because my dad was retrenched, I was not able to have him sell my fudge at work, but instead had to sell it around town.

Once I had a few hundred rands, I started looking for somewhere to ride.
I looked at a few places, but they were either too expensive, or somewhere where my dad and mom were not happy about sending me.

Anyway, it just had to be the Lord. We went to the library and well, I don’t really remember what happened, but my mom met a lady who was getting things for homeschooling and they just started talking and she mentioned that her niece was going horse riding in Glen Cairn. We questioned her
about this place and she said that the price for lessons was quite reasonable.
I was getting more and more excited as she talked further.

I went to check it out and it seemed to be the right place to go to!

It took me a few months more to save up for the gear I needed. I was soooooooo excited that I could hardly wait!
I did a market in October and made a nice amount of cash to pay for some horse riding lessons!

Slowly but surely, I bought the items of clothing I needed for riding.

I had bought everything I needed except the hat. I went to Noordhoek, praying all the time that they would have a hat for a reasonable price.
We walked in and asked the lady and she showed me a second – hand hat for a great price!
I tried it on, and it fitted!
It was also a Harry Hall hat that costs about a thousand rand new!
That was such an answer to prayer!

I was lucky that I still had my second – hand riding boots that I had gotten in Natal!


During the time I spent waiting I sometimes cried because it seemed it would never happen. I comforted myself by looking up Bible verses that had ‘waiting patiently’ in them.

Here are a few of my favourite verses that helped me through.

Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart

7 Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him.

Aren’t these verses lovely?


A few weeks later I was back in the saddle!


I must say, my riding was terrible!
I had developed some bad habits and it took me quite some time to get rid of.

I was so grateful to feel the reins in my hands and to smell that smell again!
I praised the Lord for this miracle he performed!



God worked another miracle and gave me a market to sell my fudge at.
It is called the ‘The Triangle Square Market’ here in Fishhoek.
It is a ‘Slow Food’ market and is a great place to make money!

I now have quite a big business, making 5 different flavours of fudge.


This market was really such an answer to prayer, as we were praying for a long time for a market where I could sell my fudge, and what is also amazing is that it is down the road from our house!


I have finally gotten rid of my bad habits, after many months of just walking and trotting.

I am now cantering and jumping!

I have my first show on the 16th of May and I will post some pictures of my round.

I am so thankful to God for opening this door.
Sometimes it was difficult to carry on making fudge, but doing this has made me more appreciative of horse riding. I am not just going to stop when it gets tough or if I fall off, but I am going to persevere!

I am thankful that my mom and dad have made me do the fudge, because it has taught me a great skill!

I am still praying for my own horse, but I know God will do this in his time, but for now I am enjoying myself and working hard, learning as much as I can.

So, don’t lose hope and think God is not going to answer your prayer, but keep praying and trusting in God.

Sometimes things don’t happen in our time, but in Gods time.

1 comment:

Kaelah Michelle said...

Hi Kelly your blog has heped me through a lot of difficult things and things that are difficult now, this page helped me to trust in God so thank you
love Kaelah