Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book Review: Emma by Jane Austen

I decided to start doing book reviews for my readers! I must confess that I don’t read too much, so, by being able to share what I’ve read with all of you, I will hopefully be inspired to read more. I am rather picky when it comes to books, so I want to know it is highly recommended...basically not under three stars!

My first review will be on one of my favourites, EMMA by the dearly loved Miss Austen.


Emma

Emma is the youngest daughter of a wealthy gentleman by the name of Woodhouse. She posseses both beauty and knowledge and is, in many ways, the ruler of Highbury. Although Emma herself is disinterested in marriage, she finds satisfaction in the match-making of her friends. However, when her ideas prove wrong, she has to somehow confess her failures to her friend and keep her countenance and pride intact. A charming young man comes to visit his father. He becomes the talk of the town, being both handsome and rich. He also seems to fall for Emma. She doesn’t pretend to be indifferent to his affections, even though she knows her faithful friend and advisor disapproves of his flattering ways. It comes as a shock when he announces his secret engagement to another young lady of talent who also lives in Highbury. The truth needs to be uncovered and in time it is, leaving everyone content. Emma has another admirer – an admirer who has loved her since she was very young. Will Emma accept his love, even though she has no desire to be married as yet? And will her friends find their perfect matches, too?

This novel has you guessing and assuming throughout! It is a little drawn out and can be a little boring in certain areas of the story, but it is well written. The language is beautiful, but it is a heavy read. There are many new words used in years gone by. At the end of the story, you feel satisfied and well fed with good literature. Definitely one of Jane Austen’s finest!



Have you read Emma? Your thoughts on this book? How would you rate it? Do you have a favourite Austen novel? Feel free to let me know in the comment box below!!

 
I also guest posted here!

Smiles,
Kelly-Anne

2 comments:

Godsgirlz1 said...

Sounds like a good book. I will have to check it out. How long approximately is it?

Would you like to check out my blog?

godsgirlz1.wordpress.com

♥Godsgirlz1♥

Kelly-Anne said...

Hi Godsgirlz1! All Jane Austen's novels are pretty long but so worth the read! I'll be sure check out your blog soon:) Thanks for stopping by! Kelly